It’s a common misconception that making layer cakes is something that novice bakers should steer clear of. This could be no further from the truth. It is possible to make fantastic layer cakes in a very simple manner following some basic recipes. Before you start baking your layer cakes, there are a certain aspects to keep in view such as:
- The amount of time you have. For instance, if you are strapped for time you can choose to make a whipped-cream-filled cake. Not only does this cake look spectacular, but the berries and whipped-cream that ooze out from between the layers make it a delectable goodie.
- Butter cream cakes may take a little longer to make but they are worth the effort and time. You don’t have to spend time spreading the butter cream perfectly. Simply use a small spoon to make curls and swirls with the frosting. This is far more forgiving and also more fun. The final product will be very attractive and won’t need much by way of decoration. If you decide that you want to add something to the top of the cake, opt for any simple embellishments. A small mound of fine chocolate shavings or berries placed at the centre of the cake can do wonders for its overall appearance
Tips for Easy Layer Cake-Making
Here are some simple tips that you can follow while making a basic butter vanilla cake quickly, with the least amount of trouble:
- Beat the sugar and butter together until it is fluffy and airy.
- Start with all the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients in two stages. The milk and butter go in first after which you add the eggs. This is a very easy method, however you need to ensure that the eggs, milk and water are all at room temperature.
- In order to get a very fluffy whipped-cream filling, make it a point to finish it by hand.
Classic Layer Cake Combinations
Here are some classic layer cake combinations that you can try:
#1 Whipped-cream cakes
- Chocolate whipped cream & raspberries
- Vanilla whipped cream & strawberries
- Lemon whipped cream & mixed berries
- Strawberry/raspberry whipped cream and mixed berries
#2 Buttercream cakes
- Coffee buttercream & chocolate-coated espresso beans on top
- Chocolate buttercream & brandy-thinned blueberry jam with roasted and sliced almonds
- Raspberry buttercream & brandy-thinned strawberry jam with fresh strawberries on top
- Buttercream with thinned orange marmalade & chocolate shavings
- You also have the option to use liqueur-thinned jam to add one more layer of flavour to your cakes in your buttercream layer cake
Layer Cake – Finishing Touches
The final finishing of your layer cake can be as elaborate or as simple as you like it. For instance, you can arrange just a few embellishments on the top of the cake or along the sides. Coconut flakes or nut slices stick very easily to the sides of your cake. All you have to do is grab a handful of them and pack them or around the edges of the cake. Some finishing touches that you can consider include:
- Fresh fruit and berries(wedges or slices)
- Orange/lemon zest curls
- Dried fruit
- Shaved chocolate curls
- Mint leaves
- Toasted nuts (whole/slivers/slices)
- Chocolate-covered espresso beans
- Coconut flakes
- Grated chocolate
- Drizzled melted chocolate
At Ganache Patisserie you will find fantastic breads and delicious croissants, french cakes, cupcakes, pastries, sourdough and other baked goods for everyday consumption as well as for special occasions. We also have a wide variety of cupcakes for you to indulge in. Come; explore our scrumptious world of goodies.
Thanks for reading,
(02) 9967 2882