Many avid bakers use fondant flowers to decorate their cakes. These add a very attractive and fresh appeal to cakes for various occasions ranging from weddings to birthdays. While you can always make some elaborate and intricate rolled fondant roses, if you are strapped for time, you may want to learn how to make fondant flowers the quick and easy way. Here are some ideas:
Materials you would need
- Fondant in different colours
- A silicone mat
- Foam board
- Fondant roller
- Ball tool
- Rose flower cutters in different sizes
- Circle cutters in different sizes
- Paint pallet (you can buy this at a craft store)
- Lustre dust (this is an optional material, but recommended)
Before starting, ensure you know which cutters you want to use. This will depend on the size of flowers you are planning to make. These are the steps to follow:
- Roll out the fondant as thin as possible (paper thin is good); this will give a very professional and clean look to your flowers.
- The next step is to cut out the circles. While doing this, press down very firmly and then twist them a little. This helps in cutting out the frayed edges which lends the flowers a cleaner and well-finished look. Once you are done cutting all the circles, lay them on the foam mat
- Use the ball tool to gently glide all around the edges of these circles; this will thin the edges. Simply press the centre of the circles down so they are flat; this helps the petals become attached to them.
- Once you have done this to all the circles, allow them to dry for a few minutes. If you don’t have the time, use them right away; however, you will find they are easier to work with after drying them for a few minutes.
- Once they are dry, stack them carefully starting from the largest circle to the smallest; use a dot of sugar glue, lemon extract or a drop of water between the layers. You can also apply lustre dust on the surfaces before you stack them, and then add a very small fondant ball to the centre.
Whimsical fondant flowers
You can also make flowers using flower-shaped cutters; here are the steps to follow:
- Roll out the fondant very thin and then cut the flowers.
- Use the ball tool to give the edges of each petal a frilly look. While making smaller flowers, place the ball tool at the centre of the petal and then gently rub it in a clear circle; this will spread out the petal thinly.
- Allow the petals to dry for just a few minutes and then stack them in the manner you did before.
- Add a centre to create whimsical, fun flowers.
You can use these beautiful fondant flowers to decorate your cakes as soon as you have made them. They hold their shapes very well and are very easy to make. If you want to add an extra dimension to them, you can place them in a flower former; allow them to dry for a couple of hours before using them to decorate your cake. You can be as experimental as you want when you are creating these fondant flowers to add a unique touch to the delicious cakes you bake.
Always buy tools of good quality and follow these tips that we have just talked about. At Ganache Patisserie you will find fantastic breads and delicious croissants, french cakes, sculpted cakes, cupcakes, savoury treats and other baked goods for everyday consumption as well as for special occasions. Come; explore our scrumptious world of goodies.
Thanks for reading,
(02) 9967 2882