Should or Shouldn’t You Use Muffin Liners?
Cupcake and muffin liners are the cups used to contain the batter poured into cupcake and muffin moulds. They could be made either of foil or paper, are generally decorative and corrugated. Most muffins that you buy at a store or patisserie come in liners. So the question that arises here is – Do you really require liners to bake successful muffins? While there are a number of reasons to use these liners, it isn’t mandatory to use them.
Muffin liners – different types
Earlier, the only types available were the standard waxed parchment muffin liners. While you can still find these, there is a large variety to choose from, such as:
- Coloured paper liners – These are available in every possible colour and shade, which makes them perfect for birthday party muffins.
- Coloured or silver foil liners – They are more decorative and stronger than paper, but they cost more too.
- Tulip liners – Most professional bakeries use these heavy waxed paper liners that just rise above the tops of the cupcakes to create very pretty tulip shapes.
- Special occasion liners – For dressing up your muffins or cupcakes.
Most muffin liners are quite affordable and you’ll be able to make more than one batch of muffins from a single pack. Make sure you purchase the right size of muffin liners for the baking pans
Why use muffin liners?
As mentioned at the start, you don’t have to use muffin liners while baking muffins or cupcakes, but there are some reasons to use them:
- Muffins are far easier to handle when in these liners
- Sometimes just greasing pans isn’t adequate; muffin liners always guarantee a stunning and well-finished final product
- You don’t have to grease baking pans when using muffin liners.
- Using liners is far more hygienic (when actually handling them)
- Liners reduce the wear & tear on the non-stick finishes of baking pans
- You can remove delicate muffins and cupcakes without worrying about damaging them
Why opt not to use muffin liners?
As long as you properly grease your baking pans, you can bake superb cupcakes or muffins & remove them very safely, without using any baking liners. If you feel you don’t want to use them, you don’t really have to. There are a number of reasons to avoid using any muffin liners:
- These liners come in a range of sizes but it can sometimes be quite the challenge to find some for very tiny muffin tins.
- Cheaper liners don’t always remove well from the muffins and they add to the overall cost of homemade baking.
- It may be a little difficult to find the right size of medium and regular liners.
The best way to remove muffins from pans without damaging them
Most bakers use liners to guarantee that their cupcakes and muffins will look outstanding when they’re served. However, if you don’t have or choose not to use any liners, here are some tips to follow to achieve perfect-looking muffins:
- Ensure the muffins are cooked through before removing them from the oven. Just insert a toothpick into the top centre of the top of your muffin. It needs to come out clean and dry.
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Loosen each muffin from your pan with a butter knife.
- Use a clean towel to cover the pan and then flip it upside down. The muffins should easily come out of the pan and land safely on the towel.
At Ganache Patisserie you will find fantastic breads and delicious croissants, french cakes, sculpted cakes, cupcakes, savoury treats and other baked goods for everyday consumption as well as for special occasions. We also have a wide variety of cupcakes for you to indulge in. Come; explore our scrumptious world of goodies.
Thanks for reading,
(02) 9967 2882