Steps to Make Gum Paste Bows and Ribbons
If you want to make a unique baby shower or birthday cake, why not consider a design that has a touch of whimsy? Today, many people are creating cakes that look like gift boxes and have bows and ribbons just like any real gift box does. If you are keen on learning how to make these embellishments, read on for the steps to make gum paste bows and ribbons:
Gum paste curlicue ribbons
The materials you need
- Gum paste in colours of your choice
- Rolling and slicing gum paste
- A fondant roller
- A fondant mat
- Clean pencils / ¼” dowels (unused)
Steps to follow
- Roll out the gum paste to a thickness of about 1/8″ thick. Cut it into thin strips, and then wrap the strips around a dowel or pencil as loosely or tightly as you like.
- Allow these to dry for a minimum of 4 hours before you remove the dowels or pencils; however, it’s best to allow them to dry for 18-24 hour to limit the breakage.
- If you want them to stand on the cake, insert a small/large toothpick into the lower end of the ribbon before it dries out entirely. Allow these to dry for a minimum of 24 hours before you use them to decorate your cake. You may check out these unconventional tools for creative cake decorating. If the cake is going to be moved to a different location, place the ribbons on the cake only at the destination; this will prevent them from bouncing and becoming damaged or causing tears or holes in the fondant.
Making large gum paste bows & ribbons
While it may seem a little daunting to make large sized gum paste bows and ribbons with multiple layers, it isn’t as difficult as it seems. The bows will have to be built in pieces and then stacked on top of the other. You would have to start with making ribbons of different sizes for the loops.
Steps to follow
- Roll out the gum paste to a thickness of about 1/8th”. You have the option to roll it thinner than that, but it becomes difficult to work with the loops if the paste is too thinly rolled.
- Cut the strips about 1-3″ wide and 12″ long. You can decide how wide you want the ribbons to be. If you use thinner ribbons, you will need a larger number of them to decorate your cake. It’s also a good idea to make a more ribbons than you need to make up for breakage.
- Take the 12 inch strips and slice them vertically into half so you will have about 5-7, six inch strips. Fold these strips onto themselves, stand them up on one side and then create the shape you want. Continue doing this till the time you have completed the entire bottom layer.
- For the second layer, cut the 12″ strips longitudinally into three narrow strips and allow these to dry as they stand on their sides. Make sure the middle loop is slightly smaller.
How to dry sugar ribbons
The gum paste loops should be allowed to dry for 18 to 24 hours before you use them. You can use water, alcohol, sugar glue or royal icing to assemble the ribbon.
How to dry sugar bows
The bows can be added on the finished cake or you can assemble the bows and then transfer them onto the cake in one piece, once they have dried.
At Ganache Patisserie you will find fantastic breads and delicious croissants, french cakes, sculpted cakes, cupcakes, savoury treats and other baked goods for everyday consumption as well as for special occasions. Come; explore our scrumptious world of goodies.
Thanks for reading,
(02) 9967 2882