Tips To Make Soft and Delicious Vegan Cakes
Most people that are strangers to the concept of veganism believe that vegan cakes and other baked goodies won’t have the fluffiness and moistness that cakes made with dairy and eggs have. This couldn’t be further from the truth. The fact is that vegan cakes can be as fluffy and moist as regular cakes; you just need to know how to bake them right. Here are a few tips that will help you make soft and delicious vegan cakes:
Tips to Make Vegan Cakes
#1 Preparation Matters
Some of the most important steps take place even before the batter is mixed:
- Start with the oven and ensure the rack is sitting smack in the middle.
- Preheat your oven for a minimum of 15 minutes before you actually start baking.
- Wait for around 15 minutes after the preheat beep, before you put the batter into the oven.
- Line the cake/muffin pans well before you begin making the batter. It’s important that you don’t let the leavening agents like baking soda sit around for too long after the batter is ready.
- Your vegan milk and butter should be at room temperature before you mix the batter
#2 The Leavening Agents
- Leavening is an important part of the baking process and if you want really fluffy and soft cakes, you would have to use leavening ingredients such as baking soda and /or baking powder.
- One of the best ways to add lightness to your cakes is to mix 2tbsp of water with 2tbsp of baking powder and 1tbsp of oil.
- You can also use a tbsp. of agar powder and an equal amount of water – whip these ingredients together and then chill the paste before use.
- Eggs can also be replaced with chia seeds, flax seeds, silken tofu, fruit puree non-dairy yogurt, or baking soda and vinegar.
#3 Don’t Beat the Batter
Baking is a lot more than just putting in all the ingredients into a bowl and then mixing it together. The few things you should be doing at this point are:
- Sift the flour so the baked goods will be fluffier & lighter.
- Measure your sifted flour accurately by levelling the baking cups using a butter knife.
- If there is excess flour it can make your cakes dense, dry and heavy.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix it well.
- Use a separate bowl to whisk the wet ingredients.
- Some recipes call for creaming and you can do this by hand, but using an electric mixer is far better.
- Add all the wet ingredients into the dry mix bowl in batches.
- Fold all the ingredients well and don’t overbeat the batter as that will only overdevelop the gluten which will result in less soft and fluffy cakes.
- Once you have poured the batter into the tins or pans up to 3/4th of the way, open your oven very quickly, slide the pans into the oven and shut the door.
- It’s important that you don’t keep opening the oven. Every time you open the oven while something is baking in it, that makes it lose up to 30 degrees.
- Be careful not to undercook your cakes. Just 5 minutes before the complete baking time, stick a toothpick into the cake and check if it comes out clean; that indicates the cakes are properly cooked.
- Once done, take the pans out of the oven and leave them in their pans for around ten minutes and then transfer them onto a cooling rack.
Follow these basic tips and you will find that even your vegan cakes and muffins turn out soft and fluffy. At Ganache Patisserie you will find fantastic breads and delicious croissants, french cakes, pastries and savoury treats for everyday consumption as well as for special occasions. Come; explore our scrumptious world of goodies.
Thanks for reading,
(02) 9967 2882