Ganache Patisserie

  /  Baking   /  Why Do Most Baking Recipes Call for the Use Of Unsalted Butter?
unsalted butter

Why Do Most Baking Recipes Call for the Use Of Unsalted Butter?

Most people that bake will tell you that they would never replace butter with any other ingredient in their baking. While some recipes call for melted butter, others use browned butter, sometimes it’s beaten with eggs and sugar while others use cubed and cold.

Regardless of the form it’s used in, every serious baker makes it a point to use unsalted butter and there are some distinct reasons for it. Butter is the go-to fat in most baked dishes; while coconut oil is truly lovely and olive oil is also nice, butter gets the job done much better than its counterparts.

Typically, butter is made from cow’s milk and it’s largely made of butterfats and you should be wary of low fat butter. Butter is normally about 80% of fat and the remaining 20 percent consists of milk solids and water. When you go shopping to the grocery store you will find unsalted as well as salted butter on the shelves.

Why choose unsalted butter?

If you’re planning to slather butter on a freshly-baked baguette, don’t think twice, simply reach for the salted version. On the other hand, if you are trying your hand at baking a cobbler, unsalted butter is what you should opt for; take a look at why:

  • When you use unsalted butter, it helps you control the actual amount of salt that you add to the cake recipes you are trying out.
  • Since butter of different brands has different salt content, it becomes very difficult for you to ascertain exactly how salty your butter is; in turn, this makes it very difficult for you to adjust the salt content in your recipe, which makes it just too much of a guessing game.
  • When you remove this aspect from the equation that gives you better control over salting, which is extremely important when it comes to flavour.
  • Whenever you find a recipe that mentions unsalted butter, it means the level of salt in that recipe don’t account for any other source of salt. If you don’t have any unsalted butter, then it’s best to cut the suggested salt amount to 50%.
  • The other thing to keep in mind is that salt has preservative properties and its why salted butter has a much longer shelf life compared to unsalted butter. This also means that when you get unsalted butter, it’s much fresher too.
  • Salt tends to mask flavours and you might not be able to smell/taste if your butter is off, since it masks the odd taste and odours, which can be extremely tricky.

How Long Can You Store Butter?

Many people wonder whether butter actually goes bad – yes of course it does. While unsalted butter can last for a month when you refrigerate it, unsalted butter can easily last for a little over three months in the refrigerator. If you suspect the butter is off, just sniff it; your nose will easily be able to judge whether it smells different.

The other way to test your butter is to slice it; if you find that the outer casing is darker than the inside, its best to discard the butter; butter that’s gone bad will always have two different colours. When you are buying your unsalted butter, ensure it has the latest packaging date.

At Ganache Patisserie you will find fantastic basic, exotic breads and gourmet tarts for everyday consumption as well as for accompaniments with special dishes. Come; explore our delicious and scrumptious world of goodies.

Thanks for reading,
Ganache Patisserie
(02) 9967 2882